External HDD firmware updated on Windows, now need to update it on Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by quaresma, Dec 9, 2014.

1. quaresma macrumors newbie

Hi

I just switched to Mac!

I've been having problems with my External HDD in Yosemite. It's already formatted to ExFat, so I can use it both on windows and Mac.

Anyway, I see that there's a mac firmware update for the external drive, BUT the firmware on it now was installed in windows. Will the drive be corrupted if I update on Mac?

I need this update because it solves a lot of problems with the drive not being mounted after sleep etc.

2. ethan-1878 macrumors member

Hi!

To update the drives firmware you will more than likely need to burn that firmware along with some sort of installer to a flash (thumb) drive then update by holding the Option (alt) key on boot, this will not corrupt the drive (unless the firmware is faulty). If this is not the case and the manufacturer supplies a software utility that can update the drives firmware, then this is presumably the best way and should be trouble free.

Either of the two methods mentioned above will be safe but if you're still a little skeptical about updating your drive's firmware then you should check with the manufacturers support either online of over the phone.

Oh yeah... Welcome to the world of Mac!:apple: