External HDD for Mini USB 2.0 or FW800 Will it matter

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Wicked1, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have an Mini which is our Server for all iTunes music, movies etc. I have two new drives USB (cheap seagate) and FW800 (cost a little more seagate)

Does it matter which one I run iTunes from, I do not see too much of a difference when running from USB as opposed to FW, but need to know before I move my 1.5TB of data to either of these 2 TB drives and which one will work best if it matters at all..

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Moving the data to the Drive will be much quicker with the FW 800.
    But once its over you wont see a difference. USB will be fast enough for streaming your content.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

In theory fw utilises the CPU less than USB does.

4. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

For a server, FireWire is noticeably faster. For just holding media to playback later or time machine backups, USB is just fine.

5. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

Correct in practice, too. Especially on older hardware. When accessing an external USB hard drive, I've seen CPU usage vary from 5% to 30%. With Firewire, there is no CPU increase.

However, a USB drive will be fine for watching videos on a decently powered machine.

6. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Decided to go with the USB since it is a cheaper drive and use the FW800 as a Backup since I run CCC from the internal to that drive every other week.

I switched to FW800 a while ago and forgot how slow USB is when copying around 1 TB of data, ugh