External HDD music and backup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigMoo, Sep 23, 2012.

1. BigMoo macrumors member

Hello,

I have my stock 250gb HDD in an external enclosure and I currently just have music on it. I want to create a back up drive because I don't have on at this time.

Here is my question. Can I partition this drive into 2 sections, lets say 125gb each, and use one for a TM backup and one for music? I would like to eliminate having two separate external drives. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    TJ

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course you can. Use Disk Utility.

3. BigMoo thread starter macrumors member

Here's another question along the same topic.

I've cloned my drive around 3 to 4 times and it renders my SSD super slow on startup. I want to do a clean install to see if that would help with the speed. Can I do a TM backup and then a fresh install of OS X then restore from my TM backup?

I'm only asking because I want to do the fresh install, but don't want to have to download everything I currently have on my computer again.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can.

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

You can, but how large is your computer's hard drive? 125GB is small by today's standards. If your music fits in 125GB, I'd move the music over to the computer and use the exteranl to back the whole thing up.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Yes you can, although the downside of that is that if the drive fails you lose both partitions, where as if you have separate singular partitions on different drives, you have less of a chance of losing both your music and your TM backups.

Not to be that guy though. Hopefully nothing will fail, and it's resourceful to simply use the drive now for backups if you don't need the full 250GB for your other data.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The problem with what you described is that is not a fresh install and is not going to fix anything. If you reinstall then restore from Time Machine any corrupt apps and settings you had will be restored right along with everything else from the backup.

To do a true fresh install you need to install the OS to a blank drive then manually reinstall every single app and manually reconfigure every setting.

8. BigMoo thread starter macrumors member

So what would be the best thing to do? Just leave my SSD in the computer and run disk Utility to format it to a blank drive then pop the OS X disk in?

I guess there is no real way around doing a true fresh install and keeping my data the way it is currently.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you really want a fresh install.... then yes you will need to erase/format the SSD with disk util then reinstall the OS followed by manually reinstalling all apps and settings. It is a lot of work.

You might try installing the OS clean then using Migration Assistant to import data and apps to see how if that helps with the issues you were having. But that is not really a fresh install.