External HDD "not readable" - Any way to recover data?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brkco4, Nov 3, 2010.

1. brkco4 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro with 10.6.4

The external HDD is a 320GB 2.5" Samsung. Using my MacBook Pro, I formatted it to have a 250GB partition for TimeMachine, with two other partitions for Windows computers as I was traveling without my MacBook and needed to backup photos.

I used the HDD successfully for 3 months with no problems. But when I returned and tried to put everything on my Mac, Disk Utility told me I needed to verify and repair the disk. As it wouldn't mount, I performed the tasks that DU suggested, but now I am stuck with four partitions(?) which are not readable. And now DU does not give me any options.

See screenshots here:

http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc489/brkco/HDD Problem/

The disk spins up normally, with no abnormal noises. I suspect there were plenty of Windows viruses (as I had to use many PCs over the 3 months), but the last time I used the drive successfully, it was on a PC and I successfully transferred items onto it.
    Please could you advise on actions or further diagnostics I should do. Luckily I bought a 16GB flash drive to make a 2nd backup of photos, but there still important documents which I need to recover off the HDD.

Thank

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you tried connecting it to another computer? Viruses are not the issue but maybe the drive itself is busted

3. brkco4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I connected it to a PC, but it didn't mount. Said I first needed to format the drive before it could be used.