External HDD not showing up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tobbenos, Aug 8, 2011.

1. tobbenos macrumors newbie

Hi, guys!

Hope you can help me with this problem. I've got an external hard drive that has served me well for three years or so. But suddenly, today, it did not show up when attached to my MBP. On this drive, I keep audio files from the audio software Pro Tools. The drive is backed up.

Specifications:
    MacBook Pro 2,53 GHz i5
    OS X 10.6.8
    External HDD: Maxtor One Touch III 500 GB (FireWire 800, 400, USB. I've used FW800).

When I turn the disc on, it spins up (with just the usual spinning noise, no sounds indicating failure), and after a few seconds the LED light starts to blink in a relatively fast pace). It does not show up on the desktop, nor in disc utilities.

I have tried the following:
    · Restarting both computer and HDD (and leaving them off at least some 20 sec)
    · Resetting PRAM/NVRAM on the computer
    · Using USB connection instead of FW (with a USB cable I know is working)
    ·*Using a different computer (MacBook, with only USB. Did not show up there either)

...and a few other things. I do not have a windows PC available, nor do I have another FW cable..

Suggestions?

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

3. tobbenos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responce! Do you mean the HDD's power supply? Is that possible when I can hear what seems to me as normal spinning noise, and a flashing LED light?

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

In the past LaCie had problems with their external hard drive power supplies failing. When they failed they would behave similar to your symptoms but not mount. Apparently a failed power supply can supply some power but not enough to actually make the drive operational (kinda like a brown out).

5. tobbenos thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow.. That was it! Went to buy a new AC adapter this morning, and the drive immediately mounted. Thanks A LOT! :)

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Great to hear that.

:)

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999