External HDD not working with my computer only

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by futureswitcher, Nov 11, 2009.

1. futureswitcher macrumors member

Jan 12, 2008

I have a WD external hard drive with 2 partitions, a FAT32 partition and a normally Mac-formatted partition. I use the Mac formatted partition for Time Machine and the FAT32 partition for miscellaneous storage. My Mac is a February 2008 2.4GHz MacBook.

Everything was going fine until about September until my hard drive suddenly wouldn't connect to my Mac or my friend's computer running XP. He suggested that I take the drive out of the enclosure and he lent me a separate SATA-USB adapter to use. This worked, and I was using it for a while. However, my friend soon needed his adapter back, so I retried the original enclosure and it started working again.

This was about a month ago, and it has been working fine ever since until yesterday, when I accidentally knocked the power cord out while it was performing a Time Machine backup (stupid, I know). I think i finally killed the original enclosure because it won't even spin anymore, but when I borrowed my friends adapter again, it worked fine on his computer (it recognized the FAT32 partition, but obviously not the Mac-formatted partition). However, It still will not load on my Mac. I tried it on several different computer running both Vista and XP - including my boot-camped XP partition - and it worked fine on all of them. I have not been able to try it on any other Macs.

If anyone has any ideas/thoughts/suggestions/anything, I would really appreciate it. I will report back when I get the opportunity to try my hard drive it on another Mac (probably tomorrow afternoon), but I wanted to post now in case anyone's seen this problem before.

Thanks in advance!
  2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    I suggest backing everything up and formatting the drive. It sounds like something wonky is going on.
  3. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

Nov 7, 2009
    In your basement
    sounds like the enclosure is dodgey...

might I suggest purchasing a new one?
  4. koruki macrumors 65816

Aug 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    I agree, make sure you get a quality enclosure, from my past experience its always been the enclosures fault.