External HDD over Aiport Extreme AND over USB port for Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mentalman1369, Jul 19, 2008.

1. mentalman1369 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I was just thinking... is it possible to plug in a portable hard drive into Airport Extreme (802.11 n with new firmware) and make a Time Machine backup then take the hard drive with you on the road and use the USB port of the Mac to make further backups to the original? As in, can you switch between using Time Machine over WiFi (through AEBS) and over USB on the Mac? Will Time Machine keep backing-up to the same back-up even when the hard drive is connected in a different way? If someone has USB hard drive and an AEBS
    and could check this theory out for me then that'd be great.

I'm planning on getting a :apple: MBA soon and knowing this can help me out a lot.

Thanks!

mentalman1369

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i dont have any personal experience with this (never tried it). but i reckon that it would make different backups for both the setups your trying to achieve.

NO personal experience though, just a guess.

3. mentalman1369 thread starter macrumors newbie

bump :p

does anyone have an external hdd and airport extreme and can test this out?

just need to see if time machine will still recognise the original backup file when connected to usb as well as through airport extreme.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i spose i could try it out for you haha, i have plently of external HD's and stuff.