Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaseUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2015
I have an External G-Technology G-Drive Pro connected to my iMac 5K but I have an issue that I would like to solve.

Basically after a while of not being accessed the drive goes quiet and I assume goes to sleep.

The problem is when I try to access the drive again it can take a couple of minutes to wake up/be usable again (it remains quiet then after a while starts to spin up).

Any idea what the problem could be? I understand that the drive can go to sleep to save power etc but I did not expect it to take so long to wake up again!

Thanks in advance.

JaseUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2015
Check with G-Technology to see if there is a firmware update available for the drive.

I had a look on their website and nothing for my drive, I'll email them... didn't even think of a firmware update.

JaseUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2015
I had a reply from them and unfortunately it is the way the drive is made ie having 4 drives in a raid, they say they no longer make drives like this and the new ones don't have the problem :(

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Guess you'll have to live with it. I would have thought though that they would offer you a generous trade in for one of their new drive arrays. Perhaps you can get back to them and ask about that since they admit the drive is made that way.

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
I have an External G-Technology G-Drive Pro connected to my iMac 5K but I have an issue that I would like to solve.

Basically after a while of not being accessed the drive goes quiet and I assume goes to sleep.

The problem is when I try to access the drive again it can take a couple of minutes to wake up/be usable again (it remains quiet then after a while starts to spin up).

Any idea what the problem could be? I understand that the drive can go to sleep to save power etc but I did not expect it to take so long to wake up again!

Thanks in advance.

actually I may have a solution for you. but it will cost you few bucks. Download an app called amphetamine in mac app store. It keeps your mac awake, however it also has a function which allow you to force certain HDD awake all the time. Put the hdd into the list and the hdd will never go to sleep.
b91b5d757a4a268d4e574b219e127578.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.