External HDD problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Labhras, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Labhras macrumors regular

Hi all,

recently I've noticed that when connecting my external HDD (not my backup one) to my mac, it is very slow to eject and when I try to see subfolders of a folder it can get a few minutes to show them (true is that they're a lot of files, but I never had this problem before).

I had the "disk disconnected without ejecting first" warning a couple of times when I had left the disk connected for a long time without using it (I have the option to put disk to sleep after a set amount of time in preferences).
    I might be wrong, but I think this slow reaction started to happen after the 10.9.5 update, but I'm not completely sure.

Just out of curiosity I ran DU on it and it says that the disk needs to be repaired.
    Is it a disk problem or a mac one? If I repair it what will happen to the files on it?
    It's a NTFS formatted drive.

2. motrek macrumors 68020

Hard to say, but if the disk has aggressive power management, this may be by design. I notice that my small external notebook drive often spins itself down (essentially turns itself off) if I haven't used it for a few minutes, and then when I try to do anything with it, it takes several seconds to spin back up.

3. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

Thing is, it's a very recent problem. I used to be able to connect the drive, and instantly have it working, or having it ejected in very few seconds.
    Now I have to wait longer times for everything.