External HDD & PS3.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by videonastie, Feb 12, 2008.

1. videonastie macrumors member

I've recently upgraded my PS3 to a 160GB HDD & housed the 40GB HDD into a case to use for storage/transferring files. However I'm struggling to format it into something that can be read on a PS3. Does anyone have any info/help on what I should do, so I can read on the PS3 what I save onto the HDD from my Mac?

CHEERS

2. nordesmic macrumors member

The PS3 can only read files from a FAT32 formatted external drive. You will need to reformat the drive to this standard as it is probably in HFS format at the moment.

The problem with FAT32 is that the file size is limited to 4GB so if you're looking at playing some HD movies you'll have to split into pieces under 4GB.

3. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

4. nordesmic macrumors member

I don't think you can format a drive on the PS3. You'll probably need to run disk utility on your Mac to format the drive.

5. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

I've just run a disk utility on the Mac & there's no option for FAT32:confused:so I formatted it as a Mac FAT, but when put into a PC it would only let me format it as a NTFS format?:confused::confused: How do I get to format as a FAT32?

6. nordesmic macrumors member

I am not too sure about the details of formatting a drive using disk utility. Probably easiest to have a look in the hardware forum or ask a question there. I'm sure you'll get a response pretty quickly.

From memory, it may be called something other than FAT32 in disk utility. You should be able to read FAT32 on all systems as it is the most compatible. I don't know why it wouldn't work on the PC.

7. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I've put a post in the Mac Peripherals section:D