External HDD question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mdwall, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Mdwall macrumors member

So I had a spare HDD laying around that I decided to put in an enclosure so I would have some extra storage space but more as a TM backup.

The drive I used is a WD Scorpio Blue 320 gig. It came out of a click free kit. I basically took the drive out of the click free and slapped it into an enclosure I had bought so that it wouldn't run any of the built in backup software the click free had (built into the controller in the enclosure so no way to remove it otherwise)
    I used this setup to backup my old PC prior to my Mac transition and it worked fine. It also made it fairly easy to transfer everything over to the Mac and went off without a hitch. After getting that done, I reformatted to HFS journaled to use as a TM backup device. It will run for about 5-10 minutes and then sporadically start ejecting itself until I unplug it.

At first I wasn't sure if it was the enclosure (Dynex 3.0 enclosure) or the drive its self that was having the problem so I reformatted the drive to work on my old PC and tried backing up on it and it worked fine. I have also installed a different (Seagate Momentus) drive from when I upgraded my PS3 in the enclosure and tried that on the Mac and it worked just fine too. Only problem with that is the seagate is a 60 gig. Nowhere near big enough to use for TM though it did at least let me backup my music and photos so that is at least a plus.

My main question is has anyone else ever ran into this scenario? I have a hard time believing its not something simple as the WD did run with the Mac long enough to pull all the files I had backed up on the PC. Any suggestions on what I could do to fix this?

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I would just get a new drive and enclosure (or a combo).

Does the 320GB have warranty? I wouldn't trust if it keeps rejecting (even though you said it works fine on the PC).

These laptop drives are very fragile compared to 3.5" desktop drives.

3. Mdwall thread starter macrumors member

Yeah no warranty on the drive its self so that's a no go unfortunately. My first mistake was to try and save a few bucks by using what I had available I suppose....

I just thought it was weird that it works without a hitch writing from the PC and worked fine to transfer data to the Mac (at least a good 24 GB's of pics, docs, and music ) but when I try to write to it from the Mac it starts acting all crazy even when formatted correctly. I even tried reformatting it to NTFS so I could see if it was the drive and did another backup on the PC and the exact same result. Just very odd to me.

I could just get another HD but for about the same cost I might as well get a full external HD and save myself the trouble/headache.