External HDD question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by willie45, Nov 10, 2007.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

Hi

I have recently moved to the mac and so far I have liked it more every day. I want to move some files from my old HDD to my new mac. The HDD is formatted in NTFS format and my question is whether I can simply plug this into my mac and transfer these or not. I know the mac can't write to NTFS but can read. I am not sure if this means that I can drag the files to my mac and that it can subsequently use them. They are mostly video and photographs.

Also can you tell me how to format this drive to FAT 32 so that I can share this drive with my partners PC

Thank you very much for your help

Willie :)

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You will be able to copy and use the files on your external hd.

Afterwards, navigate to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Using this application, you will be able to format your disk as FAT32. Formatting will erase all information on the disk, so make sure you've copied everything before you do so.

Please ask more questions if you have them. :)

3. TurboLag macrumors member

Yes, you can read, and drag over any files from the NTFS volume onto your mac. I keep all my videos on an external NTFS drive so they may be played on any computer.

To format to Fat32, open Disk Utility, and select the volume to be formated. Click the Erase tab, and under Volume format: select MS-DOS (FAT). Then click erase.

4. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much indeed for your valuable replies. I will do as you suggest.
    Thank you again

Willie