External HDD recommendation

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fxstb2002, Apr 6, 2010.

1. fxstb2002 macrumors member

I am a real estate agent, and I make video tours of all of the properties that we sell. I want to be able to convert the video into iMovie while I am driving from one property to the next, using my MBP. Then when I get back to the office, I will use the iMac to do any edits. Therefore, I want an external HDD to make the transfer easier.

Now for the recommendation, can I use a firewire portable HDD that doesn't need an external power adapter, or should I go ahead an get one with the power adapter? I am thinking I will go with a 500GB 7500RPM drive.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jampat macrumors 6502a

How big are these movies? USB key seems like the cheapest, easiest and most durable solution here (or transfer over the network, even faster and cheaper).

If you really want a harddrive, I'd go for a 2.5" drive that does not require external power (personally I like firewire, but USB also works). That way you can use it in the car if you want without a mess of wires and power adaptors. Faster drives really help with random file access of small files. If you are just dumping large movies on and then erasing at the office, I doubt you will see much difference between 5400 and 7200 rpm (unless you are editing on the drive).

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

If you can, get a FireWire unit like this one…http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX116VC/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MTM0NTA4ODc
    It doesn't require a separate power supply and it will run off FW800. Not sure on the specs but the case is really tuff. I have the 3.5 version (with power supply) where this is for a 2.5 drive and like I said no power supply needed.
    Good luck and hope all works out :)

4. fxstb2002 thread starter macrumors member

I typically shoot between 10-20 minutes of video using a Canon camcorder that records in AVCHD. I will then convert the footage using iMovie and put it on the HDD while driving to the next location.

I have a large project coming up where I may shoot 20-25 properties on the road, before bringing it all back to the office. I thought a HDD would be the best option.

5. fxstb2002 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the replies. They have been helpful.

6. skeeternj macrumors newbie

Check out OWC.com for HDs. I just got the 320 GB onthe go drive and love it. Has FW800 which is great for video. Cant beat the price.

7. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Firewire slave

Here's my take.
    Capture your video footage. DONT use an external.
    Take it to the office.
    Shut down the MBP.
    Connect it to the MP with a firewire cable.
    Start the MP holding down the "T" key.
    A firewire symbol will show up on the screen.
    It will show up as a drive on the MP.
    Copy files.
    Go home, tell your wife you love her.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Did the OP ever get an external drive. I too am looking for a external drive that doesn't require a power supply so i can do some work in the field then after transfer it to my main external drives.
    I was looking at the G-tech someone posted above or the Western Digital 500 GB passport. opinions?

9. Stig McNasty macrumors regular

Portable WD 400/800/USB

I use a WD FW800/USB external 2.5" with my MBP as on-the-road storage for P2 video and Canon video & stills. Except for some initial lack of desire to connect to my iMac (which I had to do through another drives and the, provided, fw800>400 cable). Now all seems good using the FW800 connection, tho' I did download new drivers from WD.

With the drive I got USB, FW800, FW400>800, USB to Power cables. The USB power cable would allow extra power to be supplied to the drive via a second USB port. That may be useful if power supply on your USB ports is low/non-existent (usb 1.1?).

There's also a desk dock that moints any similar WD drives vertically, tho' the connection is FW800 only.

I got mine for GB£50 :)