External HDD Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by HyperliteG4, Apr 30, 2014.

1. HyperliteG4 macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

Hi all - I have an older iMac that I got off eBay that I have been using as an iTunes server (only) for my AppleTV (200+ movies in HD ripped from Blu-Ray - yes, it took a LONG time!). I used to have all my music on there too but since getting iTunes Match, all my music is in the cloud with Apple - so it's just Movies/TV shows and bonus materials (from iTunes purchases) that will be stored on this drive. I'm not terribly worried about backup since I pay for Backblaze, it will backup all my attached drives.

I'm looking to get some replacement HDD's for it as I've gone through too many LaCie's that I won't buy them anymore. I used to be a big fan of LaCie but after my 4th failed drive, I've given up on them... I have heard the G-Drive's are good and the WD's seem to have good reviews on Amazon. However, I've had a bad taste in my mouth about WD years ago and that's when I switched to LaCie but maybe it's time to go back...

Any recommendations for external HDD's that aren't too expensive (not ready to drop $700+ on a NAS)? I'm looking for 4-6TB in size and the drives will be on 24/7. I never really shut this machine down ever so it is always accessible for watching any content on the AppleTV.

Thanks!

2. Billit macrumors member

I have two of these that have worked just fine for over a year now connected to my Macmini as a iTunes server.