External HDD stopped working on Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PUNISHER80, Dec 24, 2007.

1. PUNISHER80 macrumors newbie

I have an Acomdata 250 gig portable hard drive that I was using to put movies on, yesterday it just stopped working in the middle of copying a movie. I was using handbrake and the HDD was set as the output folder, no message or anything popped up other then handbrake saying my encoding was done. I thought that it went to fast so I went to open the HDD to check and see if the whole movie was copied and it was not on my desktop. It was still plugged in and the light on the HDD was still lit up, but it was no where to be found on the computer. I have tried hooking the HDD up to other computers and it will not work on any of them, the light comes on and you can feel that the drive is running but it does not show up on the computers. I can't even get the hard drive to show up anywhere so that I can reset it or reformat it. any help is appreciated, also I am on a macbook, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB ram.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Does Disk Utility see it? You may have a dead enclosure or drive. What is the drive mechanism? (i.e., WD, Seagate, Hitachi, Samsung)

3. PUNISHER80 thread starter macrumors newbie

it is an AcomData HDD, I can not get to it by going through Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. it is not even seen in there anymore. I really hope I didn't lose all the data on the drive, does anyone know of a way to retrieve the data if the drive is broken.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It may just be your enclosure's controller that's failed. You should pick up another enclosure (only about $20 for a cheap one) that has the same interface as the drive (will have to open current enclosure, but it's likely PATA), and put it in there. I own the Universal Drive Adapter ($30 from Other World Computing) for instances just like this. It mounts PATA, SATA, 3.5" and 2.5" drives as a USB2 drive.

The drive is likely from one of the first three vendors, since they are the ones who make the great majority of hard drives today.

5. PUNISHER80 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thanks I guess I will just return it to Fry's and see what they say. It is only about a month old and it now has stopped working so hopefully they will be able to help me.

6. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .