External HDD to Internal HDD: Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rotter2142, Dec 1, 2012.

1. rotter2142 macrumors newbie

I own a 500GB Seagate FreeAgent Go HDD. I had bought it in 2008.

I own a Macbook Pro 13(2009 model) with only 160GB of hard drive space. With the escalated prices of the hard drives right now I am not ready to invest in a new HDD>

I was planning to remove the hard drive from the Seagate and install it in my Macbook.

I wanted to know will it fit in my Mac?

I am including a photo of the HDD I own, as a reference.

[​IMG]

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I had one of those units and removed the drive, it was a standard 9mm sata drive. I reused mine in a raid enclosure, but it should fit in any modern laptop.

3. rotter2142 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. It's time to wield the screw driver.

4. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

I don't know which size your external HDD has, but a MacBook requires a 2.5" disk. But judging from the flatness of the case you showed, it seems like this is one of them.

I would seriously think about getting an SSD though. I know they are quite expensive, but the speedbump is enourmous. It feels like a complete new computer!

5. rotter2142 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it's a 2.5" HDD, so I think it's gonna fit. My Macbook is the late 2009 model and hence I'm quite reluctant to invest anymore in it. And I mainly use it as a source for my music which is expanding at an exponential rate and hence the req. for a larger drive which unfortunately the SSD won't be able to provide!

6. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

You could for sure switch the drives if wanted and put the Mac drive in the external case and the external drive into the Mac just to retain a little bit of external storage.

Piggybacking on what someone else posted an SSD would really liven the aging laptop up quite a bit. I put a 128GB Samsung 830 drive in my wife's late '09 MBP but she doesn't consume much storage. The drive was $79 at Fry's so not a bad deal.

7. rotter2142 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just pre-ordered the new Nexus and a new headphone. I'm broke due to these new expenses. And I'm planning on a new gaming PC. So chances of getting a new SSD are quite slim.

Anyways thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely keep that in mind whenever I have extra dough to blow.