External HDD to itunes??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac2thefuture, Jun 26, 2009.

1. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

Hello, I've had a self conflicted issue which resulted in me having to format my imac. All my music was on an ext HDD so it's all present.
    I need some help on the next step. How do i tell the imac where to find the music etc or do I have to import it all across? I hope not.

Thanks

2. macunwired macrumors member

macunwired

importing music from ext. HDD without creating copies:

If your library information was on your internal HD, you will have to import the music back to your itunes library... so you will lose your playlists, etc.

Start by opening itunes and going to iTunes/preferences/advanced. Click on the change button to change where itunes stores content. Navigate to your external HD music folder and select that. Uncheck the "copy music files to itunes music folder when adding to library".

Close preferences and drag and drop your music folder into the iTunes window. When it is done importing all your music (just a scan... will not actually make copies of the files), go back to preferences/advanced, and recheck the "copy music files to itunes music folder..." option. Now when you import music it will place it in your External HD folder.

3. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

4. macunwired macrumors member

macunwired

Glad it all worked out!

Thanks for posting back that it worked.