External HDD vs Portable Ext. HDD ( last longer)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bronx16, Mar 27, 2011.

1. bronx16 macrumors newbie

Hello,

In general which type of hard drive will last longer when properly taken care of. External ( with fan, and moving parts) Or the portable.

I am just wondering if the fan and moving parts in the bigger 1TB HDD will cause more problems in the future.

I am storing many important pictures and videos that cannot be replaced so I am very worried about this.

Should I go for the smaller portable HDD?

Any advice and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unless you are buying a portable SSD, both the portable and the desktop external drive will have moving parts. Neither is more reliable in the long or short term. Buy the drive with the best warranty for the price.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What fan and moving parts are you referring to? External drives, whether bus powered or AC powered, whether large or portable, have spinning drives and read/write heads, but no fans or other moving parts. If you're concerned about the durability of an external drive, go with an SSD.

Edit: Always a step behind you, miles01110! You're too fast for me! :D

4. bronx16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast responses.

I have another concern.. Is there any damage that can be done to an external desktop hard drive, if I often "plug" and "unplug" it from my laptop.

I always use the eject function, I was just wondering if the external desktop hard drives were perhaps not meant for such varied usage.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not a problem at all.

6. bronx16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

7. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

How about this issue... with the portable being a portable harddrive it may be more subject to "harsher" treatment than an external sitting on your desk. So higher chance of failure imho. I know for am a but rougher on my smaller portable hd.

I would definitely backup my back up imho. :)

8. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

If you don't have a copy of your files off-site, they are not protected! A thief will steal both your internal and external, and a fire will burn both.
    Either keep a HDD in a different secure location, or use one of the online back-up services.

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If these files are that precious then you should make multiple backups.

At my house I have a NAS acting as my primary file server, but I have two USB drives which also contain backups. One of them really should be stored offsite though, which I am not currently doing.

10. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

This and other people giving advice for offsite back up are 100% correct, far more important than what particular hard drive (all can fail).

But to answer your question. Over the years I have had housings with fans, and yes, the fans almost always go out with use and can be a pain to replace.

These days you can get external HD's for $100 for 2 tb, I would not buy an expensive one with fans, get two cheap ones and use one for back up.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I like to buy enclosures separately from the actual hard drives. That way when a fan starts to go (and you can usually tell because it starts to get very noisy), then you can save the drive and just replace the enclosure.

However, these days the external USB drives are so cheap that I'm not sure it's worth it. Just buy one, use it, replace it if you need to later.

What tends to happen with me is I'll buy a drive, fill it up, then when it gets full, I buy a newer, bigger drive. The old drive then becomes a backup drive.

12. adamsmith3331 macrumors newbie

Thanks for your discussion, the information available here was helpful for me ...