External HDD. which format option to chose?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Turian.Spectre, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

I have a 1TB portable Toshiba external HDD. Originally I had it formatted as Mac OS extended Journalled, until I ran into a problem of transferring files to a windows pc at home. So I reformatted it to NTFS-3G with a driver I installed on the mac. However I noticed it transfers files like 4 times slower. Does NTFS suck that bad? (rhetorical)

I am thinking or reformatting back to Mac Journalled and installing MacDrive (which I stumbled upon today on the net) on my windows machine. Would that be faster than my current way or all the same?

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

NTFS isn't the problem. It is NTFS-3G. It is sometimes quite slow.
    If none of your files are larger than 4gb format it as Fat32. Both windows and mac can read/write to fat32 with no issues.

3. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

oh I see. I do have large files on there. HD Movies mostly. Should I reformat it then? I just don't know how fast MacDrive is and buying it to find out it sucks is no fun. Plus all the extra work and waiting for transfers...

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MediaFour offers a 7-day trial of MacDrive to test it out.

5. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

yup i saw that. I just figured to ask here if anyone has it they may tell me if its good or not compared to ntfs-3g. If I reformat my hdd I have to save all the files from it to my mac which is more than 400gb. I dont want to waste an entire day transferring that over if MacDrive is not any better. And then have to transfer it all back.