External HDD with Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by burnswuff, Sep 13, 2011.

1. burnswuff macrumors newbie

So I bought this 2 TB HDD. However, I learned of the different formats of Mac (HTFS+) and PC (NTFS). However, 2 TB is too large for only backing up one system. I have however, partitioned the drive into 3 parts. 1 part is 300 gigs with HTFS+, one is 16 gigs in exFAT to act as an USB, and the remaining 1.6+ tb went to PC.

However, my MBP does not recognize the "transfer" partition any longer. It used to until I put a pc file on it to test it. Afterwards, it ceases to register.

The reason I wanted the Mac partition to be HTFS+ is so that Time Machine can work with it.

My current set up almost works the way it is intended, the PC partition works with PC only, mac doesnt recognize it. The mac partition works with backups and the pc doesnt recognize it. This is what i want. However, that 16 gigs of exFAT is only recognized by PC. I want that 16 gigs to be like an USB drive, where i can put PC files and Mac files on to transfer between them. Any way to do this without messing up my previous 2 partitions?

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Try Paragon Software's NTFS For Mac. It allows Mac's to read and write to NTFS partitions, so there won't be any need for a 16gb "transfer" partition.

It's $20 but they have a free trial so you can see that it will work.

Money well spent when you have Mac's and PC's living together. I use it on my external drives because I repair family/friends PC's and Mac's, and have a few of the friends who have dual Mac/PC setups using it. It works great.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/