External HDD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wizzywig27, Jan 5, 2013.

1. wizzywig27 macrumors 6502

Hi all

I purchased a seagate 2TB NAS drive to create back ups of my system and also to make back ups of music etc (ad to move music and pictures from old Windows 7 PC to my new iMac), anyway this was a right pain in the bottom as I had to upload each file individually (I want to drag and drop).

so out I go to buy a WD Elements USB 3.0 drive and plug it in, all ok apart from the fact I cannot drag and drop (a circle comes up with a line through it when I try to do it). I have googled it and it seems it may be because my drive is NTFS - not a problem, I will format it to OSX format, but the question I am asking is, what is the best way to get my files from PC, to mac?

thanks all

2. Bear macrumors G3

What should be possible is for you to share out the disks from the Windows machine and mount them over the network on the Mac. This should allow you to drag and drop.

I've done this in the past, but haven't tried it with the last few versions of OS X or Windows.

3. wizzywig27 thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is the interface is web based, so when I dragged and dropped an mp3 for example it played it in safari.

4. Bear macrumors G3

I'm talking about the windows machine sharing out it's drives so the mac can mount them, not anything on an external NAS.

Also with a proper NAS you shouldn't need a web interface to access the files.