External HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by medavidcook, Sep 13, 2014.

1. medavidcook macrumors member

medavidcook

Hey,

I am looking at getting an external hard drive to use for back ups and storage of music, videos and pictures. I am ideally looking for something in size of 3TB. I have been looking at the LaCie Porsche Design.

What are your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I have a G Technology G-Drive. It's an older 2TB 800FW but it has served me well and they have newer versions out now with TB connection altho I don't think its TB2 I guess it depends upon your computer's hook ups. Anyway, I've been very happy with my external HD

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Pretty much every drive company has been bought by or merged with Seagate of WD. For example, Seagate now owns Lacie. You are paying extra for the pretty "Porsche Design" case with likely the same Seagate drive you would get in a much cheaper Seagate branded drive. Nothing wrong with the Lacie if you don't mind paying for the looks, but I would just buy a WD or Seagate USB3 drive for less money. This WD or this Seagate.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Suggestion: either the drive is for backups...or....for data storage....never both. Being mechanical devices, HDs fail. And when, not if, the drive fails and it has all the backups and your library....you are out of luck. One drive for libraries (documents, music, videos, photos..etc) and a separate larger drive for Time Machine backups.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Among my external storage drives is one of these in one of these.

Full UASP support and extremely easy drive removal/replacement.

This option is strictly for desktop users not looking for a portable option.