External HDD

discodicky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Kinda new to macs and i was after a bit of advice. I've filled up the HDD on my ibook and I've made the decision to get an external drive. I currently have a unused windows pc with a 160gb HDD. I'm planning on getting a FW caddy and using that as my new external drive. Just wondered if there are complications of which i should be aware

Many thanks

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
discodicky said:
Kinda new to macs and i was after a bit of advice. I've filled up the HDD on my ibook and I've made the decision to get an external drive. I currently have a unused windows pc with a 160gb HDD. I'm planning on getting a FW caddy and using that as my new external drive. Just wondered if there are complications of which i should be aware

Many thanks
You'll probably have to reformat the drive in order for you to be able to read and write to it. I believe Macs can't write to NTFS drives, only read from them. It should be easy, though, just plug it in, open Disk Utility, and "erase" as a Mac OS drive. And done!

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
livingfortoday said:
You'll probably have to reformat the drive in order for you to be able to read and write to it. I believe Macs can't write to NTFS drives, only read from them. It should be easy, though, just plug it in, open Disk Utility, and "erase" as a Mac OS drive. And done!
Yep it is that simple and be prepared for quick formats, it will literally only take a couple of seconds :D

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
livingfortoday said:
there's very very basic ntfs write support. not recommended though, if it even works.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
janey said:
there's very very basic ntfs write support. not recommended though, if it even works.
Where did you hear this? OS X by default can only read NTFS. There is others apps you can buy to let you write to NTFS, but just os x can't.