Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Hi, I have data stored in two HDDs which were connected in a RAID0 setup in my old windows desktop. I was having problems and the motherboard stopped working. I bought three motherboard (intel DX58SO, EVGA X58 SLI3, EVGA X58 SLI) and all of them died. I'm not gonna buy the fourth one, but still I need those data stored in the raid hdd setup.

Can someone please suggest a good method to connect these HDDs and retrieve information? I have a late 2011 macbook pro.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
RAID is not necessarily compatible across various enclosures. I assume that you were using software RAID on your older motherboards, vs using some type of external RAID box. Personally... I do not think it will work if you get an external RAID.

If you need that data, you need to connect it like you had before. It sounds to me like you either need new motherboard, or abandon your data.

A second option is to find someone who has a PC which supports the same RAID setup as your old computer, and have them configure your existing drives to their machine while you offload the data. I did this years ago when I had a computer die and I was using RAID0.

The real issue that you have is that you evidently do not have a backup... otherwise restoring your data would be trivial. I suggest that you do not repeat that mistake. Ever since I ran into the same problem that you have now.. I've never gone without at least dual, independent, automatic backup on each computer.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.