External HDD's - use in USA and Australia?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by offwidafairies, Feb 1, 2008.

1. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

I am currently living in USA and have bought 2 external HDD's here for use with TM (and to hold my audio as my 160Gb internal is way way way too small for me).

When I get back to Australia is it safe to plug them in? Just with an adapter? Or can I even just use an Australian power supply?

They are Western Digital MyBooks 500Gb. One is USB only, the other is Firewire aswell.

Thanks!

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

If these are powered external drives, I would check with their manufacturers to see if they have built in switching. If not, you may need a power transformer in order to plug them in at home.

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

You'll be fine. Check the big black adaptor in the middle of the power cord. It should say something like "100–240Vac", which indicates that it will work anywhere (provided you've got a plug adaptor).

4. offwidafairies thread starter macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

there is a big black adapter on the firewire drive - and ur right, its 100-240 :)

but the usb one plugs directly into power socket. im guessing this means it wont work?

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Hmm... it might work, but you'd have to check somewhere to see what voltage it accepts. Maybe it's written on the back of the drive?

6. offwidafairies thread starter macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

not written anywhere on it. guess i can always give the drive away before i go home.