External HD's For My New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zutty53, Apr 12, 2014.

1. zutty53 macrumors newbie

I just ordered a new iMac-27", 512SSD, 8Gig, Will upgrade myself to 24 Gig. My only real concern is hooking up all my external HD's and other gear. I have:
    one Fantom 2TB-USB 2.0
    two LaCie 1TB (ea) FW 800
    three LaCie 4TB (ea) USB 3.0
    That's a total of 16 TB from six drives. On my current machine an early 2009 24" iMac (which has FW 800) I chain the Firewire drives and then I also chain a FW 800 optical drive into that as well. I'm running all the USB at the slower 2.0 speed via a hub. I also have a USB printer a Canon 5420 that I'm not sure is USB 2 or 3.
    My concern is whether any of these devices will have a problem with running off a USB 3 hub. I'm getting one that will have an external power source. Also I'm wondering if I should go with the wired keyboard just to get the extra USB ports.
    The two Thunderbolt ports are also spoken for, one is for the firewire adaptor the other to run a second monitor, via a TB-HDMI adaptor.
    I hope I haven't forgotten anything. I think I'll simply run the Migration Ass't from a Time Machine backup. I'm a backup freak and have 2 other complete backups of my entire boot up drive South Portland I'm not worried about losing anything, but I'm still wondering what the best way to transfer all my stuff from the old machine.
    Thanks for reading my long winded post, but I'm really looking forward to getting this new machine and don't want to mess anything up. Oh...My main uses are photographic editing (Lightroom Photoshop CC, Photomatix etc..Some audio audio editing, Logic, and a HUGE iTunes library (1.5 TB)
    Thanks!
    Z

2. Asmoday macrumors member

Maybe complete offtopic here, so apologies in advance;
    Why not use a NAS?

No hassle with cables and stuff, accesible from all computers you hook it up to.