External HD's for those with small SSD's..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hooneyrob, Aug 4, 2011.

1. hooneyrob macrumors member

Hi, as you may have read from a previous post, I've ordered my MBP with 128GB SSD which is prob a little on the small side. I'm going to use it with iCloud for photo and important file backup but also would like an external drive to store video content that's waiting to be edited..

Just been in the Regent Street store and note that the Time Machine HD's are pretty expensive.. What do you guys recommend as an external HD with fairly swift read/write times? Maybe the Time Machine HD's are expensive for a reason?

I'd like it to be a wireless network device which can be written to wherever I am in the house..

Rob.

2. MKang25 macrumors regular

If you don't need your SuperDrive have you thought about installing an OptiDrive so that way you can have a large 1TB hard drive with your sad in your laptop.

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Did you know that Apple makes devices that you mention specifically? They are called Time Capsule. They provide you with Wi-Fi AND wireless backup. Yes, they cost around $270, but if you don't want to deal with compatibility issues, then you should get the Time Capsule.
    Or, you can go optibay route, and get a 1TB Samsung or Western Digital drive to store your data. But then, you have to spend about $100 getting the optibay module if you were to buy it from MCE.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

check store.apple.com and goto the refurb section under Mac Accessories 1TB time capsules start at $207 not too terribly priced, 2TB new are only $92 more.
    Definitely the way to go.
    otherwise one other option is to get a USB powered (or FireWire powered) external drive but its always going to need to be plugged in.

5. hooneyrob thread starter macrumors member

They were the devices I was calling Time Machine - sorry, fairly new to Apple kit.

But thanks for your all your advice.. The refurb route sounds interesting as does getting shot of the Superdrive as I wont ever use it with the exception of rip'ing the odd CD.. Rob.