External HDTV Display Opinions

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by UberKyle, Feb 4, 2009.

1. UberKyle macrumors newbie

I'm waiting for my MBP to arrive later this month, and I'll be using it for video editing - documentary, digital shorts, etc...

I'd like to have an editing station set up in my office and use an HDTV somewhere in the 24-32in size as my external display, and mainly for video playback, to see how my project looks on a TV.

I was wondering if any of you guys here have a similar setup and how well it works for you. Are there any specific TVs you might reccomend in that size range that I should definitely be looking for a good deal on?

What adapters do you use to get to HDMI?

Are you happy with your setup - what would you change if you could change something?

Thanks in advance - :apple:

2. likeavaliant macrumors regular

While it's not a television, I use a 24 inch Dell Ultrasharp, connected to my macbook pro. Awesome setup. Has component, composite, USB inputs.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

While okay to use as a preview monitor this type of setup shouldn't be used to judge image quality or anything like that.

Lethal

4. UberKyle thread starter macrumors newbie

What setup, the HDTV, or the computer monitor, likeavailant, mentioned?

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Both. Unless you use something like the Matrox MXO you can't get a good quality signal off the DVI head of a GFX card.

Lethal

6. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

The new Dell has HDMI as well as DisplayPort.

7. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I wonder how the Matrox MXO really works.

I mean the image is still coming for your cinema display right?

You would think there would be a way to calibrate your monitor to the same settings and color without the MXO.

I hear the MXO works great though.

The other option is to buy a consumer HDTV and use a blue gel over your eyes to setup the color bars.

8. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

That really doesn't work, not the same as a blue gun.

I have one and it is good. The one thing that sucks is that it only does 8 bit video, not 10 bit, so if you are grading any AVC-I, you won't see it the same way. But i like it.

9. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

So the blue gel thing is just a myth?

I just bought a SD monitor with bluegun, cause my output is for DVD.

I am guessing if your working on SD output it's better to have a SD monitor.

Although I was thinking about getting a Intensity Pro with consumer HDTV, but I guess that won't really work.

Do any consumer monitors have a bluegun? I doubt it, but you never know.

The MXO I know it works well, I just wonder HOW it works, like what is it doing to make it work?

10. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

The MXO contains a specific LUT for mapping the color of the video signal to the capabilities of the ACD.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Among other things, the MXO does a frame rate and color space conversion on the signal coming off of the DVI port of your GFX card. One reason the MXO works so well w/the 23" ACD is that the ACD can actually support a 59.94 frame rate. The blue gel isn't a myth, but it's less than ideal.

Lethal

12. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

13. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

I've been looking into external displays as well but not too sure where to start...so I have a few questions myself (sorry to hijack but maybe the answers will help others too!)...

I'm on a budget and can't really afford a MXO or HD broadcast monitor at this time. Can I use a Blackmagic Intensity (which seems to be the cheapest HDMI card I can find) and hook that up to an HDTV I already have? I'm not sure how well this would work, as my HDTV is 1080i with a resolution of 1280x720.

Doing mostly weddings and other live events, is there any major reason I should spring for a MXO or HD monitor instead?

I used to think a display dedicated to judge image quality and color wasn't all that important...until I watched my highlights video with a bride and groom on their HDTV, and colors were quite a bit more neon than I saw on the preview window on my Dell Ultrasharp :/

14. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Because you need one of those to calibrate the image you are seeing... simply going out of the Intensity to an HDTV will not give you a more accurate preview than your Dell because the HDTV is not able to be properly calibrated.