External Headphone/Volume Controller?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by g00dbye, Nov 11, 2009.

1. g00dbye macrumors member

g00dbye

Hey all. So, I will soon need an external headphone/volume controller for the new speakers I will be purchasing. Something like the Griffin PowerMate would be nice except that there's no headphone input on it. I am searching frantically for one of these things but can't find anything! What are the proper names for these things and can anybody recommend some? Thanks! -Bri

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

If your speakers are connected to your computer then the Powermate will control the volume.

3. fl1picc macrumors newbie

more help setting powermate to control volume

I also, cannot get my powermate to control volume on my macbook pro. I'm not terribly computer savvy and would appreciate more specific instructions. This is my deceased husband's laptop. He was a mac addict and has lots of peripherals. I'm slowly learning what they are and how to use them.

Macbook Pro Specifics:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz

I would like the powermate to control volume when I play something on the internet that has sound - youtube videos, for example. I'd also like the powermate to control volume when playing anything from my itunes library.

My external speaker system is connected to the powerbook through the headphone jack. I can control the external speaker volume with the keyboard controls.

The powermate is plugged into a USB 2 hub. I've tried several ports, just to be sure I wasn't plugging into a bad port.

To try to set the powermate to control volume the way the keyboard controls volume - controlling anything that has audio - I've tried the following:

1. I left the setting on Global Setting. When I opened the powermate utility for the first time, my husband had nothing added to the global setting drop-down menu. I can't remember whether 'global only' or 'game mode' was checked, but I've tried all three permutations.

2. I added 'audio midi setup' from applications and selected that from the global settings drop-down menu.

3. I added 'itunes' from applications and selected that from the global settings drop-down menu.

For each setting, I set the user action to increase volume when rotated right, no pulsing, then clicked on 'apply now'.

None of the setups I've tried control the volume when playing from my itunes library or from the youtube site.

I'm guessing that either I have the external speakers and/or powermate plugged in wrong, or I am not adding the correct application to the settings drop-down menu.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!