External HRM with Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jozone, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Jozone macrumors 6502

Anyone using an external HRM with their Apple Watch through Bluetooth? I'd love to hear of your findings (compared to just using the watch) and also if you were able to use an Bluetooth HRM while also using BT headphones all (only through the watch).

Trying to decide between Polar and Tickr. Apple has me addicted to monitoring heart rate!

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I use a Garmin 620 simultaneity with my :apple:Watch and I have found the :apple: Watch's optical HRM can be spot on accurate when worn correctly. Today I did an over 6.5 mile run and :apple:Watch has my average HR at 150 and my Garmin 620 at 149. I obsessively check both all the time (have done over 25 cardio workout) and it is rare to see them more than 4 beats apart.

3. Jozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats interesting as I have found my watch will constantly throw bad data (140bpm, then ~50bpm -- I wish my recovery rate was that good!). I suppose I could be one of those with glitchy results after the update.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Tighten it up to snug and move up your wrist ½".

5. Jozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried it yesterday (tightening) and still getting mixed results - when you say move up your wrist do you mean towards your hand or shoulder? I might just be sol based on my protruding wrist bone :(

6. nicho macrumors 68000

towards the shoulder, i believe.

7. matty.p macrumors 6502

Past your wrist bone, part of the problem is that when you are doing certain exercises the blood vessels contract near the extremities to pump more blood to the areas that are actually working so it gets really difficult for an optical sensor near your hand to get enough data.

8. Tmdlkwd macrumors member

Went on a " moderate " Cycle Ride yesterday

I pair a Scosche Rhy + w/ the ismoothrun app..get 141 BPM
    Running the AW outdoor Cycle Workout..get 138 BPM

Using both above all the time, AW is within +/- 3 of my external HRM everytime
    Pretty good, imho

9. Jozone thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess with that in mind, given the mixed exercises I am doing - (current gen) wrist worn devices would never be very accurate.

10. kevroc macrumors 6502

I use a Polar, I find if you really want HR tracking, best go to with a chest strap. The important thing for me is to monitor which "zone" I'm in and % of max hr at any given point in time. That's were bad data readings on the optical can cause disruption if not accurate.

The optical is good for more casual tracking.

11. Jozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you using a Polar H7, or something different?

12. kevroc macrumors 6502

Yes, the H7. I would think the battery life on the watch would even be better getting HR via BT versus the optical HR sensor. Did a 4:45 hike the other day and the watch went from almost 100% to 13%.

13. matty.p macrumors 6502

I really like the Tickr X but it may have more features than you need.

14. Jozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems like the Tickr X is somewhat unnecessary now as it was geared towards not needing to bring your phone (isn't it the one with the onboard memory?) - what made you choose Tickr over Polar? Also, any experience using Tickr + BT headphones at the same time to the watch?

15. Jozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Wanted to bump this thread to see if there are any changes. I am (somewhat) reliably using my Polar with my watch, but need to be mindful to turn Bluetooth off on my Phone prior to beginning the workout.

16. nicho macrumors 68000

Why?

I have a tickr and just put it on, start a workout and within 15-20 seconds the watch has connected to it and started reading heart rate.

Do you also have it paired to your phone? And is there a reason you need to do that that I'm not thinking of,