External Iomega HD purchase

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Halcyon, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Don't have much of a choice here. I need an external HD to back up my Mac's with Time Machine and I have to choose between an 500GB Iomega or a 750GB Iomega.

Anybody has run into any trouble with any of these units?

TIA

PD - Like I initially stated, would love to have more to choose from but this is all that's available right now.

EDIT - Both units are USB 2.0...or should I look for Firewire connectivity? (speedwise)

2. dborja macrumors 6502a

I have the silver 500GB. It works fine connected directly to my iMac or through my 1stGen AEBS. One caveat though: it won't sleep when connected through the AEBS...

Another tip: if it doesn't work out of the box, take a peak inside the case and check that the drive is secured with a screw. Mine was missing the mounting screws so it slipped out of the connector.

3. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.
    The Silver series is precisely what I have at hand. Now I must decide if the 500GB will be enough or if I should fork about $100 more for the 750 GB one.

My machines have 160Gb and 320GB HD's (480GB altogether) and I'm only using like 110Gb on one and 100GB on the other, so 500GB should be enough.

4. LaJaca macrumors regular

LaJaca

I have the 750, worked perfectly fine out of the box. It's not the quietest HD out there, but you can't beat the look next to the aluminum iMac.

5. dborja macrumors 6502a

Sounds like 500GB should keep you for a while. And $100 for the other 250GB is too much...

Yes, it does look good. Reminds me of Cylon eyes from the original Battlestar Galactica series although those were red LEDs...

6. LaJaca macrumors regular

LaJaca

THAT would be cool to have....

7. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I was looking at the 500GB for my mini and apparently there is an issue with the external drive not shutting down with just the mini. Iomega is aware of the issue and I am currently trying to determine if this has been resolved yet before I make a purchase. As for connectivity since I am using this for Time Machine everyone has told me that Firewire is the way to go for speed over the USB 2.0.

8. Jozone macrumors 6502

Anyone know who MFGs the internal drive in these units?

Personally, if I were in the market for an external I would shop the weekly ads for a cheap name brand INTERNAL hard drive and put it in one of the new Macally G5 styled enclosures.. link here: http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=215

Last time I checked they were going for around ~$50 shipped @ newegg.

9. dborja macrumors 6502a

Mine has a Seagate SATA in it...