External iPod hard drive -- anyone done this?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by California, Sep 27, 2007.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I have a 20gb 4th Gen. iPod that I have used with a Griffin iTalk microphone for the past two years for interviews that show up as Voice Memos in iTunes. It is a great machine. However, I only recently realized that some of the memos have not transferred to my main machine, a Mac Mini, and some of the memos are in the iTunes on my powerbook's iTunes, very confusing as there must be three hundred memos at least.

And all of this is very valuable information for me -- my work interviews.

I want to get ALL of these memos onto CDs. I CANNOT burn them off the iPod's hard drive in iTunes. I have tried some of the remedies Apple suggested to me -- they actually told me about some third party apps -- but the latest iTunes updates seem to preclude me from BURNING MY OWN VOICE MEMOS off my iPod!

I am incredulous that I have no control over my own content. I am wondering if I should take the iPod's hard drive out and put it into an external enclosure ( they make them for 1.8" hard drives, I believe) and try to get my information off of it like that. I am nervous about the third party apps, should I lose the interviews somehow.

Does anyone have any advice? I just don't get it. Apple has been helpful, but we all are stumped. This is MY content. I just don't get why this is so difficult!

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Sounds like you might want to try a utility like Yamipod to try and extract the files you want

3. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Thanks but I can't use Yamipod with the newest version of iTunes.

Anyone else have any idea?

Hey... I wonder if I somehow hook up my powerbook with a superdrive to an old Cube I have with Panther and an old version of iTunes on it == maybe it will allow me to download my voice memos on that hard drive and I can burn off the firewired powerbook?