External iSight questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chosenwolf, Dec 30, 2008.

1. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Hi Guys,

I just bought an external iSight and have a few questions

1) Whenever I first connect the iSight to my Mac, I hear a clicking noise from the camera. Is this normal?

2) When I use the iSight with an application, if the app is not running in the foreground, the iSight light will be off and the camera won't run. Normal?

3) Finally, throughout use, I hear a 1 second click noise. Is this just the auto focus or is the iSight supposed to be completely silent?

Thanks!

2. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

I have a little bit of experience with an iSight, so I can help you out a bit.

1. The clicking sound is normal, it is just the lens adjusting/focusing, whatever.
    2. Not sure about this one. I think it is normal, because if I open Photo Booth and use my internal iSight, the light goes off when PB is not in the foreground, and when I switch back, a small delay occurs while the camera starts again. So I'm sure that's normal.
    3. If you bring your hand close to it, it will refocus, and you will hear that. Little noises like that are normal :)

3. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Thanks for the info! It's working like it should now after getting adjusted to the lighting in the room.