External Keyboard Cursor-up Key problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Basinga, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Basinga, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

Basinga macrumors newbie

Hi There,

All of a sudden, my system decided to play back the System Sound your hear, for example, if you reach the end of a file or line in Terminal every time I use the Cursor-up Key on my External Apple USB keyboard. The Key itself is working as intended but is playing back that nerve killing System Sound every time I use the Cursor up key in Xcode, Pages, Terminal and so on.

I already reseted my Keyboard short cuts, restarted the system twice but without success.

Any Ideas why that is happening and what else I can do ?

My OsX Version is Mountain Lion with the latest updates installed.

All suggestions are welcome.

Just found out that, by pressing Cursor up, the System receives the F6 key and Cursor up. Any ideas why?

2. Basinga thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

Hmm, that's a funny one. Just plugged it back in and it works fine now.
    Maybe it just needed a rest ?

3. conzone macrumors newbie

Basinga. Did your solution permanently fix your problem. I've been having the same issue for a couple months now. I didn't think anything of it and eventually just turned my volume down cause I was tired of hearing the beeping sound.

Until this past week when it was causing a genuine problem in a new application I was using. It appears the issue is that the Up key on the external apple keyboard is also sending an F6 command which is the source of the beeping which is especially annoying now that one of the apps I'm using often has an F6 hotkey which is causing undesired results.

This is also not happening when I plug in another similar apple external keyboard.

Anyhow if you ever found a permanent result curious what it is.

4. shonky macrumors newbie

shonky

same problem - up arrow also activates F6 - Ive seen a number of people with the same in different forums spanning a few years but no solutions?