External keyboard not recognized on Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TanyaDee, Feb 22, 2012.

1. TanyaDee macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to use a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 as an external keyboard. It isn't being recognized at all regardless of which USB port I plug it into (either directly or through a powered USB hub). I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Microsoft Intellitype software.

I have previously used this keyboard on this system. The system has no problem with an Apple external keyboard and anything else plugged into any of the USB ports functions with no problem. What could I do to troubleshoot this?

I'm on a:
    Powerbook G4
    OS X 10.4.11

many thanks for any help you can provide!
    Tanya

2. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

If you plug it into another system, (Mac or PC) does the keyboard still work?

3. TanyaDee thread starter macrumors newbie

Keyboard works on other systems

Yes, it works on a Mac Pro...

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The 867mhz and 1ghz PowerBook's only had USB 1.0, which would not power this device.

What model is your PowerBook? The model number is on the bottom, near the hinge.

5. TanyaDee thread starter macrumors newbie

Model of PowerBook

It looks like A1104 (it's pretty worn!)
    However, I'd used this same keyboard on this same machine before so I can't fathom why it won't work now. Also I have plugged it in to a powered USB hub with no result... when I open the Microsoft Intellitype preferences it only says "No keyboard detected."

6. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Well that's just plain odd. So the USB ports work with other devices, used to work with this keyboard, but don't anymore.

It almost sounds software related, as weird as it sounds.

Try booting to an OSX installation CD and see if the keyboard works. That way, it won't be using your main installation of OSX that might be ignoring the keyboard for some reason. If the keyboard works from the install disc, then you'll know its software for sure, and not hardware related.