External Lacie Hard Disk doesn't STOP when I STOP the iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by corbetz, Jun 21, 2008.

1. corbetz macrumors newbie

Hello there !

I've recently bought a LACIE Neil Polton USB 2 1TB external Hard Disk and connected it to a USB hub where already stand 2 more Lacie external drives (previous generation).

I use them with my iMac Alu and Leopard 10.5.3.

The issue is that when I put the iMac in the STOP mode, all the other 2 discs (1 of them is for Time machine) correctly stop [led on, spinning off]. But the new disc is stucked ON: led on and spinning on. That's noisy and annoying...

Some more info:
    - the new disc is Mac OS Journaled formatted and it's just for archiving videos and other stuff;
    - all the disks are individually powered with AC cord;
    - all of them are connected to the same Hub USB;
    - the new disk and one of the old disk have a switch (just on/off positions) on the back and - of course - they're both set to ON;
    - I've tried several time to reboot the system but no luck.

Any guess on how to make that disk sleep, too ?

Thank you !

2. asme macrumors regular

Different hard drive control chipsets, different power-down rules.

The spinning-when-sleep one will power down anywhere from 30 seconds to five minutes after your iMac sleeps.

3. corbetz thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried what you suggested but even after 10 minutes the disk is still there: ON and running... :(

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Take the drive off the hub and try, the hub might still be sending signal to the drive preventing it from sleeping.

5. corbetz thread starter macrumors newbie

LACIE replied to my support request stating that the model of disk I've bought (Neil Poulton external 1 TB) does not have the stop-disk feature.

They even suggested me to try to connect the external disk right into iMac's USB port. Actually I haven't already tried, but since they say that it's not compatible... :rolleyes:

Maybe this may be useful even for other users...