External Lacie Will not mount after Power cut

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by timmycochrane, Nov 4, 2008.

1. timmycochrane macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I need some help, in the space of 3 weeks i've had both my main and backup external drive go down on me. One randomly and one after a power cut, both displaying the same symptoms.

I've read the threads on this, but none seem to really reach the bottom of the problem.

I'm getting the "disk not readable," with the options to ignore, eject, or initialize" prompt.

The drive does appears in Disk utilities, but without any partitions(there were 3), and with options such as firstaid etc greyed out.

I have tried running DiskWarrior (this doesn't see the drive at all) and DataRescue ll (this can see the drive but can only recover the files to folders in groups of file type eg. mp3's are in all in one folder names 00000001.mp3 through to what ever number.) the problem being that the file structure and partitions are crucial to the use of the files (web/audio production).

I know very little about fdisk etc so please advice in simple terms.

Essentially i want to know if i'm going to be able to re instate the files within the old file structure?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. timmycochrane thread starter macrumors newbie