Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
I am thinking about buying an external LCD monitor for my macbook. What is the maximum resolution my macbook could output (see my sig) and also what is the best way to hook it up to the monitor, VGA or DVI. The monitor I am thinking about buying is the AOC 203VW 20" LCD, 1680x1050 or the AOC 193FW 19" LCD, 1440x900, has any one had any experiences with these monitors? Can anybody recommended me a nice looking cheap LCD 19" - 22" monitor.

Thanks dawnraid

mikenike192

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2008
DVI is the best way to connect it, because DVI is a pure Digital Signal while VGA is analog so DVI will be better. I think the max resolution for the macbook is 1920x1200

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Can somebody please confirm the maximum output resolution for a macbook. Thanks

ETID

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
I'm also wanting to do this to my macbook. What happens if the new display has a higher res than the macbook?

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
apple.com/macbook/specs.html

THink of two monitors as 1 big. You move a window to the edge of one monitor and it stats appearing on another. This is when using Extended Desktop mode. With Mirror mode the external is set to MB's resolution and mirrors the content of MB's screen.

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Ok back on topic. Can anybody confirm what is the maximum resolution for my macbook to output at, I have been looking all day and cannot find anything. Also how would my macbook handle an 1680x1050 moniter, would it lag or anything.

Thanks dawnraid

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Ok back on topic. Can anybody confirm what is the maximum resolution for my macbook to output at, I have been looking all day and cannot find anything. Also how would my macbook handle an 1680x1050 moniter, would it lag or anything.

Thanks dawnraid

Dude. I gave you the link with all the info you need about resolution output. No need to search all day, just go to that page... :rolleyes: Whats a better conformation than Apple's official product description page?

DoubleDutyG4

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors"

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I had my MB 2.0 hooked to a Dell 20" at 1680x1050 for a long time, and recently got my 24" at 1920x1200. Both work just fine with no noticeable lag or anything. I don't use it in mirrored or extended dual monitor mode so I don't know how well it would work if used that way, but with a single external monitor in clamshell mode it is glass smooth.

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Thanks for the quick responses guys, also one last question if I brought the mini dvi- dvi adaptor for my MB all I would need to hook it up to my external would be the DVI cable that came with my external LCD or would I have to by a male to female DVI cable or something?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Thanks for the quick responses guys, also one last question if I brought the mini dvi- dvi adaptor for my MB all I would need to hook it up to my external would be the DVI cable that came with my external LCD or would I have to by a male to female DVI cable or something?
The standard dvi cable that came with your monitor (if it did come with one) should be all that is needed. Normally this is a male-to-male cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.