External Mac formatted HDD not readable anymore on my MBP, but readable in Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ivan77, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Ivan77 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have recently had a problem with my 256GB MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2012 crashing and ended up replacing Logic Board in the service center.
    The laptop was just out of warranty but Apple made an exception for me and covered the repair cost.

I did my backups on external 2TB WD My Passport HDD and also stored other files there.

During the time while my laptop was being repaired, I used a windows laptop to access files on this external HDD.

Now when I plug it in into MacBookPro, nothing happens and I cannot see this drive in Finder.
    It is seen in the Disk Utility, however it only shows capacity and does not show how much free space is available.

In the same time I can read files from it using all these tools:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-read-mac-formatted-drive-windows/

Last of these ones that I used was Paragon HFS+ which is the most convenient as it is integrated into Windows.

I have been able to copy dmg file from this HDD to another mac formatted HDD and restore some files from that image.

My problem is that now I cannot see HDD contents on Mac but can see it on Windows.

Did anyone here faced the same issue / have some suggestions how to make this HDD readable again on Mac ?

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

What happens if you try to repair the disk in disk utility?

3. Ivan77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't risk doing it, cause all my data is on this disk.
    At least now I can access it via Windows.

One solution is to buy another 2TB hdd and copy over everything and then reformat, but I wonder if anyone knows any easier ways.