External "Mac" HD with a PS3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JLEW700, Sep 7, 2009.

1. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

Will my external harddrive that's made for a mac work on a PS3?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

if its usb and formatted to mdos it will work with ps3.

best results, format within mac

you can also stream stuff from your mac to your ps3.

4. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

MS-DOS (aka FAT32) look for that option in Disk Utility when you erase the drive.

6. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

plug drive in, open disc utility, select wd drive, hit erase - choose 'msdos' and itll then be mac and pc / ps3 compatible.

7. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I do this will I be able to add my iTunes/iPhoto library aswell?

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I am curious about the iTunes/iPhoto as well-

I don't think I will try to worry about iTunes as I don't want to be running the PS3 just to play music....photos would be nice on the flatscreen though.

Although I hope to get my MacBook Pro hooked up to my flatscreen at some point so I guess it would be pointless in my situation.

9. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

Heya Jlew, I could totally be off base here, but you might need to change the partition map for this to work. I just picked one of these up and they come apple partition mapped. Assuming you have an intel mac, you want to make it GUID if you don't want it to sleep every 10 mins while connected to your mac. As for the PS3 compatibility, I kinda think you need it to be MBR, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Just wanted to bring the above things up, so some other users might be able to shed some light on the correct partition map to use and to potentially save you some time and hassle. HTH a little...

10. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I dont really have any clue what your talking about, but hopefully someone else does and can clarify and explain what to do.

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Finally someone else honest here. :rolleyes:

I thought I was the only one who didn't know what MBR is and all about partitions...I always thought they were

• a structure dividing a space into two parts, esp. a light interior wall.:D

12. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

yes, the only thing is you cant transfer files 4gb on more using this format - so big hd videos you cant transfer - unless you split the file up into 3.9gb chunks.

in itunes, just hold down 'alt' on start up to choose the itunes library - just select itunes on your ext. drive.

not sure about iphoto - im sure itll be the same for that too...