External Memory on an Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Parthew, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Parthew macrumors newbie

Well, I have been attempting to find a way to increase the memory on my Ipod Touch and it seems as though it is basically impossible to increase the internal memory, so I have been looking into an external memory solution. As far as I can tell, it is possible but has not been done before (successfully). Do you guys have any ideas? What do you think would be involved?

P.S. I have a 8gb Touch...

TIA!

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Memory = The banks where information is copied onto from the main information storage device to be utilized by the CPU

Storage = The device where information is saved in a non-volotile manner for the purpose of long term information storage

Now which is it you're wanting to increase?

3. Parthew thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe storage...I would like to have access to more songs and what not. I have run out of space for new songs so I am looking for a way to have more songs that are easily acessed through some sort of app or through the existing library/music playback on the ipod.

Thanks!

4. christall109 macrumors 6502

He clearly is talking about storage. Give him a break. Don't be so ignorant not everyone is as technically savy as you or I am.

As for the original question, it is possible but INCREDIBALY difficult. There aren't any external solutions commercially available. I'm not sure about the jailbraking scene there may be some solutions there.

To upgrade the internal storage would be very costly and you would need very tiny instruments. Also opening up the iPod touch and messing with the internals is a very very big risk.

My advice: Save your money for an iPod touch thay has a bigger storage capacity. It's the easiest solution by far.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Even I'm not as technically savvy as you think I am, I had to look that up for myself.

+1
    The headache, difficulty and possibility of RUINING your investment simply aren't worth it.

6. JAT macrumors 603

2 possibilities:

1. Go to Ebay. Sell your Touch. Buy one with more memory.
    2. App: Streamtome, Airfoil, etc.

7. Parthew thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have looked into a new ipod, but if there is a solution that is under the cost of a new ipod I would rather attempt to pursue that route. Ive looked into the AirStash and was wondering if there was anything of that sort that could be accessed through the existing playback vs. the browser.

Thanks!

8. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

How about SimplifyMedia? Lets you stream your iTunes playlist from your home computer over the internet.

Should handle what you want. :)

9. Parthew thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks good for a place where I have wifi, but most of the time im in the car so I don't really have access to the internet =/ Or is there something with which I could have constant access to the intertubes?

10. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

There are portable devices that connect to cell phone data networks and put out a WiFi signal, but since you're looking at a $60/mo data contract on top of the $100 cost of these devices, you're really much better off just selling your iPod and buying a higher-capacity one. It would be great if there were an easy way to upgrade storage on an existing iPod, but unfortunately there just isn't :(

11. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I dont think the OP realises the cost implications involved in something like this.
    If there were such a thing, maybe a plug-in hard drive for the iPod Touch that could add extra storage, it wouldn't be cheap.

There would be no viable way to open the iPod to replace the storage space that's already there either.

You're best bet would be to get an iPod Classic to store more music if you are saying it's just for the car. Even if it's not, you can still carry it around for you. There is also nothing stopping you having both the Classic and the Touch and just keeping more music on the Classic as they have hard drives as big as 160GB which is more than double the maximum capacity of an iPod Touch.