Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nibblits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2024
I recently bought an external mic that is apparently compatible with iPhones as a gift for my wife. Out of the box, I couldn't get it to work on either her or my phone. I tried different combinations of the plugs, adapters, etc and had no success. I contacted the company, and they replaced the mic and chords without issue. However, the new items don't seem to work either. At this point, I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong and would like to get help so I can get my wife's present to work lol. From what I can gather, I'm supposed to be using it like the picture shows (attached, although obviously plugged in during use).

Probably necessary info:

-Mic is YC-VM100.
-It came with an adaptor the connects to the lightning port and ends with a charging port and a 3.5mm audio input (I believe that's what it's called).
-It also came with a TRS-TRRS cord which I plug the mic into the adaptor with, and after researching online I plug the TRRS side into the adaptor on the phone (although I've tried all other combinations).
-The audio on the phone won't play with the mic attached, as I believe the iPhone 'thinks' it's headphones, so I unplug it to check if it worked.
-The iPhone still records audio, but not through the mic, only through the phone when the mic is plugged in.
-Tried on both iPhone 12 and 11 plus.
-Using the most recent update available (iOS 17.2.1).

Helpful info:

-I'm open to any ideas, don't assume I'm not making a simple mistake.
-I did search and didn't see this asked already.
-I'm new to this site, so sorry if this is the wrong forum or I've made another mistake.

Thanks for any and all help anyone can provide!
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_6875 (1).jpg
    IMG_6875 (1).jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 58

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Just curious, I know some mics require you to put a battery in it to power it. Does this microphone require a separate battery by any chance? Does the mic have any power switches, etc.
From my experience with external mics and iPhones, they should just work without much setup. If I was troubleshooting this, I would try plugging it into a computer's 3.5mm line in port and see if you can make it work. If it does, I would wonder if the issue is with the lightning to 3.5mm adaptor?
Good luck and I hope the microphone works out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.