external microphone!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FLY., Sep 20, 2009.

1. FLY. macrumors newbie

hi, i just got this new headset: (http://shop.steelseries.com/index.php/audio/steelseries-siberia-full-size-headset-red.html) with an external mic comming with it.

so i plug this phone into my macbook (not pro, but still alu) i plug it in next to my audio line out thing

my macbook looks like this 1: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html if you look under Connections and expansion just without firewire and the sd slot.

but it got what i think is the Audio line IN slot? the hole with two arrows pointing in to it

if it helps anyone then my macbook model-ID is : macbook5,1

so can anyone tell me if its posible to get this mic working with my macbook?

i could really need some help, ive searched for this all over and no solutions are comming up :(

2. nb705 macrumors newbie

There is a line out socket (the headphone pic) and a line-in socket (the other one). If you plug the microphone into either, it won't work. The line-in socket is expecting Line level audio, not Mic-level (considerably quieter). You'll need a USB preamp of some description. I believe Griffin makes one.

3. v6bronco2 macrumors newbie

dumb

that is so dumb that regular mics don't work ugh :/

4. Shownarou macrumors regular

I was so frustrated with this whole deal yesterday after just wanting a cheap microphone. Ended up ordering the Blue Snowflake mic from Amazon for 43$. Usb headsets are outrageous.

5. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

They make usb adapters for like $7. You want it to have a pass through so that the headphones can hear the mic (so you can hear yourself), which the iMic does not have. I ordered a bunch for a lab at my job I will check the name and get back to you on monday if you want.