External monitor acting funny through HDMI switcher

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DJMeppelder, Jul 18, 2012.

1. DJMeppelder macrumors newbie

I purchased a Monoprice HDS-201 HDMI switcher (2 in/1 out) so that I could have my Macbook and PS3 connected to my monitor at the same time and save me switching the cable every time. Problems ensue...

I usually have a Mini(?)DVI-DVI adapter coming from my Macbook plugged directly into my monitor and have never had problems.
    I also have an HDMI-DVI coming from my PS3 into the monitor with no problems.

(Now enter the switcher)

I plugged a DVI-HDMI cable from Macbook into the switcher and HDMI-HDMI from my PS3 into the switcher, then HDMI-DVI into the monitor.

Now the PS3 flows through just fine through both ports and every cable and adapter I'm using has been interchanged and they all work fine.

There is only an issue when I send my Macbook through the HDMI switcher.
    It detects that there is a screen and everything but the colours are all funky and glitchy.

I guess I'm wondering if there is a fix for this (resolution setting etc.) or if this is just a problem that can't be fixed.

This is my first time posting to this site so I'm hoping somebody is able to help me. If you need more information please let me know, I'd just like to get this resolved.
    Thanks.

I've attached my graphics card info as well as a picture taken of my external monitor with the issue I'm having. (the image is supposed to be the standard Mac wallpaper of the purple star universe thing)

Attached Files:

2. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

First thing I would do is get in touch with Monoprice and get a replacement to see if its a defective unit. They are really good about that. I can't see how a resolution problem has anything to do with colors showing up strange like that .

3. DJMeppelder thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think that the switcher is defective because it allows my PS3 to pass through it on both ports. It just seems to be the Macbook... I'm wondering if there are issues with a Macbook converting to HDMI or something.

4. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

I use HDMI on my macbook all the time. What adapter are you using to convert to HDMI?

5. DJMeppelder thread starter macrumors newbie

From my Macbook there's a DVI-HDMI cable. Like I said, all the cables and adapters seem to be working fine (because I tried them on other things).

I'd think it would be possible because it IS working, the colours are just messed up and it's glitchy. I've read some other things where people have had problems and it will say no signal or something.

Do you use an HDMI switcher?

6. DJMeppelder thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved I Guess...

Ok so I tried the same things over and over and decided to go down the list of resolution sizes... and it worked :confused:

I originally had the monitor at 1344 x 840, but the monitor works now through the HDMI switcher at 1360 x 768. It's SLIGHTLY different and I may have to just get used to it.

Anyone know why this could have happened?

(it also works at a couple of other resolutions but the one I said is closest to my original resolution)

7. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

Thats really weird. I guess the switcher only supports certain resolutions and instead of telling you its out of its range, its just lets the signal pass. Glad you figured it out, but thats certainly interesting.