External Monitor Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scudder!, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Scudder! macrumors newbie

I'd like to get an external monitor for my new 2014 Retina Macbook Pro. I don't do any video-editing or other apps that would require HD, etc., but I'd like to get the best monitor with least eyestrain I can for less than $600 or so ($700 if it's really going to last and meet longer term needs).

What do you recommend? I've looked at the forums here and am confused as to what's best.

Thanks.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a late 2011 hires antiglare MBP and I use an external 1080p monitor. If you pick "best for display" setting on an rMBP, a 1080p monitor can work well as an external monitor. Eyestrain comes more from monitor quality than resolution so a decent 1080p monitor can do just fine. Those can be had for a few hundred bucks. If you're interested in 4k or more resolution, then the price ranges you mention can apply. Since you don't do any video editing, I suggest you consider a high quality 1080p monitor, especially if you leave your rMBP set to "best for display."

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I like the 2560x1440 IPD monitors; basically they are the current 27" iMac monitors. Great for general purpose use, and they are all over the place for decent prices. I got mine at Monoprice. Just make sure to get a connection that works with your Mac; some of the cost cutting lies in what ports are available.

Rob

4. G-nius macrumors newbie

If I were to buy one now, it would be a Dell U2414H as also recommended in another similar recent thread. With your budget you could probably get a more expensive monitor but for your use I don't really see the point. Practically anything would do.

5. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I picked an Acer K272HUL up for $299 shipped, refurbished. Not quite as good a deal as the Woot deal a while ago ($274 shipped), but still a great deal on an IPS 2560 x 1440 monitor.

Monoprice has one of their nicer 2560 x 1440 monitors on sale right now.

6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

You gave the price range but what size? As for eyestrain I would consider a non-glare screen (unlike the iMacs), keeping the native resolution of the monitor, and of course adjusting some settings to match your eyesight (icon/text size etc.). If you plan to watch movies and such, you should make sure your monitor is somewhat "fast" with respect to rise and fall. Stay under 16ms and shoot for a much smaller number if possible.

The mention of the Dell Ultra was a good option as it really meets the needs of the typical user, some gamers and non-pro graphics. I suggest you start with their specs and then do contrast and compare with other makers/models.

As for me, I happen to use an NEC PA series as I do need a monitor that is more in tune with graphics and photography. I have had in the past iMacs, Apple's 30" Cinema Display and a host of other maker monitors. I'll just say I've been around the block a few times and fine that you are lucky, there are so many good choices out there now. Last - check the type of connectivity the monitor offers. Some offer USB, Displayport and HDMI. Consider your options and consider additional ports as only bells and whistles and opt for the best screen quality you can afford. - Just more peanuts in the gallery.

7. octothorpe8 macrumors 6502

I picked up a Dell U2412M off of Wirecutter's recommendation and have been pretty happy.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/dell-u2412m-monitor-best-monitor/

My Mac Mini won't drive a much bigger monitor without one of those expensive (and apparently kind of buggy) Dual-link DVI adapters.

There seem to be a lot of large (24"+) monitors out there with only 1080p resolution, which is just too low a pixel density, in my opinion.

8. theluggage macrumors 68030

If your Mac has a Mini Displayport or Thunderbolt output then it shouldn't need a dual-link DVI adapter to drive a > 1200p display: A Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable should do the trick.

You may need the "force RGB" hack on some monitors though.

9. gochi macrumors 6502