External monitor and aspect ratio

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mark.W, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Mark.W macrumors member

I want to use an external monitor with my 2010 13" MBP. The MBP's screen resolution is 1280x800 (8:5 aspect ratio). Let's say I buy a monitor with a 1920X1080 resolution (16:9) aspect ratio. Does that mean that the image would be distorted on the extermnal display? Or can the graphics card simulataneously hadnle two different native resolutions?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No distortion, as the GPU can handle different resolutions and aspect ratios (4:3, 16:10 and 16:9 being the common ones).

Graphics and video support

NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory5
    Dual display and video mirroring:
    Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display,
    both at millions of colors
    iSight camera
    Mini DisplayPort

from http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html

3. brucem91 macrumors 6502

no stretching at all. If you decide to mirror the displays, the external monitor will have black all around the active screen area. If you do extended display, you can set a different resolution for each screen.

4. Mark.W thread starter macrumors member

To be clear, I want to have a dual monitor setup. So you're saying that I can have both monitors running at their native resolutions sumultaneously?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.

6. Mark.W thread starter macrumors member