External Monitor and Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Josheua, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Josheua macrumors regular

Hey All,

I just recently got my macbook pro and love it. However, I am having a tiny issue. I have a 22-inch Westinghouse monitor that I want to hook up my computer to and output the screen at 1680x1050. However, I do not want to do it as a dual set up, I want to run it as if my laptop were a desktop and only use the external monitor. However, when I set it to mirror monitor mode in displays, it pumps the image out at 1440x900 (despite setting it at 1680x1050). Mind you, the laptop display and the main display are both active in this set up so I can see how this would be a problem. I want to know, is there a way to shut off the monitor on the laptop and pump out the image just to the display and set the system to it's native resolution?

I hope this makes sense.

-Josh :apple:

2. PCRanger macrumors regular

Hi,

If you close your MBP lid, so it goes to sleep, then wake it up with an external mouse or keyboard, the internal screen will be disabled, and your external will be the only active display.
    You can then set the display to it's optimum resolution and have fun and games, using the MBP as a desktop! ;)

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Correct, if you wake the MBP up with the lid closed (using an external input device), and you have an external monitor plugged in, the screen of the MBP will be disabled, leaving you to calibrate your external.

If you have bluetooth based keyboard/mouse, make sure that your MBP is set to wake up using them.

4. Josheua thread starter macrumors regular

How do you set it up to wake up using a bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse?

-Josh :apple:

NEVERMIND ALL GOT IT WORKING. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

5. jauhari macrumors regular

jauhari

Why this tips doesn't work for me? I was connect my external monitor and usb keyboard and try to close the MBP and the MBP go to sleep, after that I try to click my mouse or by pressing any key on my keyboard but, nothing happen :(

Please what's going on? and how to do this?

6. meigo1234 macrumors newbie

Hey!

I'd like to do the same: using the MBP as a desktop, therefore closed lid.

my worry: does the mbp get enough "fresh-air", or might it get too hot?

thanks for you help
    love
    michael

7. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I was wondering - on the Apple Cinema Displays, does the power button on them wake up/start up the computer it's connected to (ie. MBP), like the old Apple Studio Displays used to?

If not, and I also have an Apple Keyboards/mouse plugged into my MBP when it's asleep/shut down, how do I wake up the MBP from these?

8. SlaunchaMan macrumors newbie

SlaunchaMan

Just press a button on the keyboard and you're good to go.

9. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Cool, this will only work when asleep though won't it?

What does the power button on the Apple Cinema Display do - will it start the MacBook Pro up when it's shutdown?

10. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

:confused: :eek: We... um, love you too...

11. hlovatt macrumors newbie

Sleep problems

On my MBP I have problems with it waking from sleep if I just use the external display (lid closed). This is so unreliable for me I have changed to using dual display mode, lid open.

12. Supreme User macrumors newbie

If I had a Macbook/Macbook Pro with a broken screen is there a way I could rip the screen off and make it think its closed? Somehow do that and use the original trackpad and keyboard with the external monitor?

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think there is sensor of somesort a the tip of the screen. Do you have the screen still attached? It would be easier to get a cheap external keyboard/mouse.

14. Supreme User macrumors newbie

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The sensor is in the base of the MacBook pro with it's circuitry based around the little latch button.