External monitor - anyone stacking vertically?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, Mar 28, 2011.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Does anyone else use an external monitor with their MacBook Pro, but keep their lid open with the external above the MacBook screen?

I do this and do audio work mostly. Works well for me. Edit/Arrange window on top, and the mixer on the bottom (or email, if I'm corresponding with people on an audio project).

2. VTMac macrumors 6502

Yep. I've been doing this for at least the last 10 years for SWD. I could never get used to the left/right rotating my head all day thing. I much prefer a simple glance up/down.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I find it better to have them side by side, but then again you need a laptop stand and a keyboard+mouse.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Have done so in the past... works great. Much more convenient to actually use the notebook than fooling around with a stand... :)

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

my ideal setup is to have the display mounted above the laptop but in portrait mode.

I just haven't figured out how to hang it up yet, since my desk isn't two tiered.

6. josh2007 macrumors member

I'll tell ya one thing, Logic sure has made those Amp Designer graphics a space hog. Wouldn't it be great if you could reduce them all to thumbnails and stash them in a corner.

All my viewing is on the big 27" cinema, and lights out for the 13"MBP

7. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Can you assign the screens to be up and down as well, so when you move your mouse to the bottom of the top screen in comes in the top of the bottom screen?

8. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Yup. That's exactly how I have mine set up.

9. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

10. nsdjoe macrumors member

Strangely enough I just set mine up that way for the first time this morning. I'm finding I like using the trackpad more and more even while at a desk and rather than purchasing the bluetooth trackpad I've mothballed the keyboard and mouse and am now just using the macbook for input and secondary screen, and an LCD directly above (and slightly behind) as the primary.

Pic: (forgive the low quality and messy desk)

http://i.imgur.com/6NTAf.jpg

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

This is the setup I had for a while. Worked great, but I eventually got sick of having to unplug everything from my Macbook to take it anywhere. I also no longer have that desk, so now I only use the external when I need it.

[​IMG]

12. NikFinn, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

13. smileyborg macrumors 6502

smileyborg

Are you kidding? That's not even close to being true at all.

14. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I stand corrected. I read it on a semi-legit site a few days ago, a quick google'ing would have told me that this is false.