Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Does anyone else use an external monitor with their MacBook Pro, but keep their lid open with the external above the MacBook screen?

I do this and do audio work mostly. Works well for me. Edit/Arrange window on top, and the mixer on the bottom (or email, if I'm corresponding with people on an audio project).

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Does anyone else use an external monitor with their MacBook Pro, but keep their lid open with the external above the MacBook screen?

I do this and do audio work mostly. Works well for me. Edit/Arrange window on top, and the mixer on the bottom (or email, if I'm corresponding with people on an audio project).

Yep. I've been doing this for at least the last 10 years for SWD. I could never get used to the left/right rotating my head all day thing. I much prefer a simple glance up/down.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I find it better to have them side by side, but then again you need a laptop stand and a keyboard+mouse.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Have done so in the past... works great. Much more convenient to actually use the notebook than fooling around with a stand... :)

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
my ideal setup is to have the display mounted above the laptop but in portrait mode.

I just haven't figured out how to hang it up yet, since my desk isn't two tiered.

josh2007

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
I'll tell ya one thing, Logic sure has made those Amp Designer graphics a space hog. Wouldn't it be great if you could reduce them all to thumbnails and stash them in a corner.

All my viewing is on the big 27" cinema, and lights out for the 13"MBP

legreve

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark

Can you assign the screens to be up and down as well, so when you move your mouse to the bottom of the top screen in comes in the top of the bottom screen?

nsdjoe

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Strangely enough I just set mine up that way for the first time this morning. I'm finding I like using the trackpad more and more even while at a desk and rather than purchasing the bluetooth trackpad I've mothballed the keyboard and mouse and am now just using the macbook for input and secondary screen, and an LCD directly above (and slightly behind) as the primary.

Pic: (forgive the low quality and messy desk)

http://i.imgur.com/6NTAf.jpg

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Can you guys post pictures of your setups?

This is the setup I had for a while. Worked great, but I eventually got sick of having to unplug everything from my Macbook to take it anywhere. I also no longer have that desk, so now I only use the external when I need it.

attachment.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.