External monitor as primary display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SlickShoes, Aug 11, 2011.

1. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have a broken iMac that has a shattered glass and destroyed LCD.

I have it connected to another display so that the computer is useable. How do it make this secondary display the primary display? Also wondering how this would affect a Windows 7 install via bootcamp, would it even be possible to do that only on an external display?

Thanks for any help!

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

To make your external monitor your primary display, go to  > System Preferences > Displays.

Click on the arrangement tab and you'll see a white little bar on one of the two blue boxes. Drag that little white bar to the other display to make it the primary one (the one with the menubar and dock).

[​IMG]

3. SlickShoes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

Would that then allow me to turn the imac screen off completely?

4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Yes, everything you need will be on your external display. That's assuming you can turn it off; I've never used an iMac so I'm not sure if the monitor stays on with the computer or if you can separately shut it off and keep the computer running.

5. SlickShoes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers! I will give it a try anyway, If I am going to use it I need to install windows 7 otherwise its not worth taking home really. If I don't use it it's getting binned as it has already been written off due to the previous damage!

6. SlickShoes thread starter macrumors 6502a

With the iMac display completely broken, I booted into OSX and enabled my external monitor. I was then able to simply run bootcamp and go ahead installing windows on the external monitor as it picked up and displayed on the external no problem so now I have a perfectly working 27" iMac just minus the built in display.

I have looked at the parts needed to fix it and it comes in at around £400+ which I think is not really worth it, still a good computer though and very useable!

7. Mvp6648 macrumors newbie

Hi Slick shoes,

How did you manage to set your external moniter as your primary display with your screen not working my iMac screen is completely blacked out and I need a solution to set the Primary display as the external without seeing the iMac screen is this possible ?