External Monitor. Cannot get native resolution

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mizquierdo31, Jan 2, 2015.

1. mizquierdo31 macrumors newbie

I just purchased an HP LV2311 monitor with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080. The display preferences menu will not allow me to select that resolution as it is not even listed. I can seem to select up to 1400 x 1050 without it telling me that I'm out of range but the picture is a bit stretched out. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to solve this. I've seen other posts about this but I still can't seem to figure it out.

Im running a black 2008 macbook, 2.4 ghz.

Thanks for any help!

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Are you using mini DVI to DVI? Or VGA? With HD monitors I've always had better luck going digital with DVI vs using analog VGA.

Also, is it an Apple adapter or third party?

I've drivin a 1080p HP and Dell monitor with my 2008 BlackBook without issue using DVI.

3. mizquierdo31 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using a DVI to VGA adapter. Do you think that could be the problem? The adapter is a third party adapter that I bought off of amazon for like 8 bucks or something.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Do you have Mirroring turned on?
    You won't be able to select the external display native resolution when mirroring is turned on (unless the external native resolution happens to be the same as the internal native resolution.)
    In your System Preferences, Displays pref pane, then click the Arrangement tab.
    Turn Mirroring off.
    You should have a Display pref pane that shows on the external display, as well as the same pane on your internal screen. You can move your mouse cursor to that external display, and then click the tab for Display, and you will be able to change to 1920 x 1080.
    And you will be able to change the internal display independently.

Remember that with Mirroring off, you have one large display area, shared across both displays. You can move folders and icons from one screen to the other - there's lots of flexibility in how you can use the larger image space across multiple screens.
    When Mirroring is ON, then both displays show exactly the same screen, which can't be resized independently on each screen.
    Experiment a little with Mirroring on, then off.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

When mirroring, you must have identical resolutions as of OS X 10.8 and later as DeltaMac described. I would get a good mini DVI to DVI adapter and hook it up that way. That MacBook can drive that resolution display without issue in extended desktop and clamshell mode.

6. mizquierdo31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I'm using the extended display. No mirroring.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try a new adapter and cable then.

8. mizquierdo31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I have a new mini dvi to VGA cable coming in already (another knock off one for like 8 dollars). I guess I'll give the dvi to dvi a shot unfortunately. I was hoping I didn't have to spend anymore money on this eh.

I can't help but think life would be easier with a PC...

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have bought both Apple adapters, quality third party adapters (like Belkin), and Amazon/eBay specials. The only ones I have had last were Apple adapters and the third party ones.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Maybe there is some problem with the display, or the display's interface.
    You could also try a DVI-to-DVI connection.
    You'll need the correct adapter for that...

11. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

The only adapter I've been able to get full 1080p out of is the Apple Mini DVI to DVI adapter. VGA wouldnt work reliably much over a standard 1280x1024 display, maybe 1680x1050. But full HD seems to like DVI.

With my '08 MacBook using mini display port to VGA it would work in 1080p on some monitors, and not at all on others. Going to DVI usually fixed it. Or to HDMI, but still digital.

This is the adapter I've used on my BlackBook with a 23" HP 2310m and a Dell monitor, worked at full 1080p expanded desktop under Snow Leopard.

[​IMG]